Cameras and other things
or, "his whole site is just him ranting" -- Medusula
A little collection of technical and opinion articles.
- Canon A-1
- A legendary 35mm camera from the late 1970s, and my favourite camera ever made.
- Canon EOS D30
- A long-obsolete, mostly-forgotten 3-megapixel digital SLR.
- Canon T50
- An ugly, automatic-exposure manual-focus SLR (1983-1989).
- Canon T90
- Stylistically, the first modern camera (1986).
- Fujica ST705
- A fully manual M42-mount camera with open-aperture metering.
- Fujifilm X100
- The camera I desperately wanted to love.
- Kiev 88 "Hasselbladski"
- A bad Ukrainian Hasselblad copy.
- Nikon D1
- Nikon's most important camera of the 1990s, and one of the most
important cameras ever made.
battery for the Nikon D1. Works better than Nikon's own ever did!
- Nikon D2H with over 390,000 shutter actuations!
- A little celebration of my D2H. Shorter than anything else here.
- Nikon D2Hs
- A subtly improved D2H.
- Nikon D70
- Nikon's first cheap digital SLR, from 2004.
- Nikon F55
- Plastic film SLR from the early-to-mid-2000s.
- Nikon bargain digital SLR deathmatch!
- D2H vs D200 vs D70 vs D1!
- Olympus Trip 35
- No batteries required!
the Olympus Trip 35
- Pentax ZX-M/MZ-M
- The plastic-fantastic miracle. Weighs less than the motordrive for the A-1! I got it for free.
- Praktica MTL3
- An extremely tough, fully-manual SLR camera. (1978-1984)
- Samsung Galaxy S2
- Reviewing the camera on 2011's finest Android phone.
- Mir-26b 45mm f/3.5
- A chunky 45mm lens for the Kiev 88 and
- Nikon 18-200mm VR
- The most useful lens for cropped-sensor Nikon digital cameras.
- Nikon 55-200mm VR
- One of Nikon's cheapest telephotos, and an inexplicably good one.
- Nikon Series E 70-210mm f/4
- A great manual focus Nikon lens.
- Pentacon 50mm f/1.8
- A 50mm lens for M42 cameras.
- Compatibility of M42 lenses
with modern camera systems
- How useful are your M42 lenses on modern cameras?
- Kodak Ektar 100
- The best colour negative film for landscapes and stills.
- Fuji Neopan 400CN
- A great C-41 process black-and-white film.
- Tudor colour negative film
- I got it free with developing. Holy crap.
Some things that aren't cameras, but are closely related:
- Lowepro Nova 1 camera bag
- A tiny and entirely excellent little bag.
- Nissin 360 TW
- A cheap and powerful 1980s flash gun.
- Yongnuo RF-600TX and RF-602RX radio remotes
- Off-camera flash on the cheap!
Instructional and opinion stuff. Have fun.
- Background blur
- In which I examine background blur with lots of pretty graphs.
- Better product
photography, for free!
- How to get great product photographs on a budget of nothing.
- Everything you've learned
from photography websites is wrong
- Honestly, most photography websites (and especially gadget websites that
talk about cameras from time to time) are wrong about everything.
- The £30 macro
lens for Canon EOS cameras
- In which I tell you why you should hit a teleconverter with a
- You are
not a photographer either, you just run "youarenotaphotographer.com"
- Haters gonna hate.
- "Why are you
taking photographs of that?"
- Great photographs are never where you expect them to be.
- How to get great results
from film cameras
- I shoot film all the time and there's a lot of people out there who
are too young or inexperienced to have shot film for seriously good
results, so here you go.
- Cheap film cameras
- A page of ideas/recommendations for cheap film cameras, for those
who want to get into film photography.
- The Lytro gimmick
- Punching Lytro in the face.